Monday, August 1, 2011

Book Review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and ZombiesPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book, so I must admit that I was a bit skeptical about the addition of the undead.  However, I didn't much mind it.  It sort of added a touch of Kill Bill to the famous plot.  I did find it a little humorous to imagine the Bennet sisters slaying zombies in their early nineteenth century gowns.

Now, for my criticisms, plus some spoilers, so consider yourself sufficiently warned:
First of all, there is a scene where Elizabeth kills ninjas and takes a bite out of one of their hearts.  Gross. Too far.
Secondly, I didn't much like the subtle - and some not so subtle - sexual innuendo.  As absurd as zombies are, they fit so much better than Mr. Darcy speaking of his balls, or Elizabeth referring to the outline of Mr. Darcy's sexual parts (I can't remember the exact phrasing), through his pants.

Overall, I would say that if you love Pride and Prejudice, and aren't offended by an author taking some farfetched creative liberties with the plot, then you will probably like this book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment