Friday, August 5, 2011

Sleep

Ever since I can remember I've hated sleeping.  As a child I thought it was an enormous waste of time, and that attitude has somewhat stuck with me into adulthood.  However, the older I get the more I realize how much I need sleep.
This point has really hit home the last week.  I have been off work for a few weeks, and will be reporting back next week, so I have been working on getting Claire and myself back into our regular routine.  Since we've been getting up early I've made sure Claire's in bed by 8, but I've been staying up way too late.  And by way too late I mean 11:30 or midnight.  My alarm goes off at 4:4o, with me snoozing it until 5.  So yeah, I'm getting about five hours of sleep.  The side effects of this sleep schedule have not been very obvious to others, but I can tell: I'm more quiet around my friends, I've been having a difficult time concentrating during conversations, I'm not very articulate when trying to get a point across, and for me the worst side effect has got to be feeling down.  Yesterday I felt so depressed, even though I have no reason to feel this way, and I really think it's due to lack of sleep.  So last night I went to bed early and I feel 100% better today.
With school coming I am concerned I will fall back into my minimal sleep habit.  In the past I've tried to suck every second out of my evening, usually resulting in falling asleep around midnight.  Then I feel miserable the next day.  Well, I think it's time I grow up and realize that to be a happy and productive person I need to sleep more.  It's not a waste of time after all.
The bed that I must spend more time in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment